Saturday, February 25, 2012

Updates!!

Well!! It's been a while! I know, I apologise.
My vacation was fabulous and lovely and I never wanted to come back to work...as usual.



Well now I'm back to work as usual in Diego Garcia, the land where rain almost never stops! Haha. Seriously, I'm thrilled that I live on a ship out here, because otherwise I'd consider building an ark.

Things haven't changed much out here, my relief is a lovely young lady from North Carolina, who has taken over most of my job now that she's been here a few weeks. For a few weeks we had a lot of people off island so i was the acting Chief Staff Officer, Operations Officer, Material Officer and Force Protection Officer...that was fun. Now that people are back here, I have much less to do. The USNS BUtton, where I live, is due to take part in Operation Native Fury in a few months, and I'm being left behind as the Commodore's acting representative on Diego Garcia while they're gone. As a result I have to move off the ship onto another ship for a few months...joy. It's not too bad, gives me a chance to clean out my stuff and pack for my household goods to be shipped to Washington.

As a result of nothing to do, I volunteered to drive our new Doc out to the Plantation ruins on the other side of the island. So we hopped into the van and off we went...halfway to the middle of nowhere I noticed the smell of burning rubber, so we got out and looked around, looked like the brakes were smoking...so we turned around and started to drive back to the office when the burning stopped. We decided to turn around a gain and try to make it out there. Well the brakes went out...in the middle of nowhere. So Doc and I rolled over to an emergency phone and called for a lift. In the meantime we were surrounded by donkeys!! We brought carrots for them anyways so we fed the scavenging donkeys until we were rescued by the British Indian Ocean Territory (BIOT) Police. All in all it was an interesting day.






In more news...I'm still shopping around for a house to rent in Whidbey Island, there's a pretty good range of available housing though, so I'm not worried...and as most of you know, due to the inability of the civilians who work for the Department Of The Navy to understand what Permanantly forward deployed means...I had to sell my baby...my Thunderbird, before I came out here.


So after all of that I have a new car!! Throught the Overseas Military Sales office I qualified for a great deal...look at my new baby!!



Yup, I'm pretty excited!!

2 comments:

  1. Very nice! Looks like an Indiana Jones adventure car for all your future escapades in the North.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the new car and I love the pictures! DONKEYS!! Love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete