Thursday, September 15, 2011

Seasons come and go...

When I moved out here over 4 months ago everyone told me I'd get island fever within the first month. I have to say I've prided myself on being entirely capable of entertaining myself since I was a child. Well now I'm slowly getting that feeling of restlessness, though I'm selfish to think it's not for the same reasons as everyone else.

I'm an Army Brat. Until high school we moved about every 2 years, so I've become very adaptable. I LOVED my childhood, but it does make life a little unpredictable. However, through it all there was one sure thing...come December we'd pack up and go to FL to see my grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins. Things always change, but those vacations, spending time with my family have always been very important to me. And, while I always loved that trip during the holidays, my favorite time of the year has always been Fall.

When Fall showed up it was time to start planning the trip, the weather got cooler and windy, leaves changed colors, I got to break out coats, hats and tights from my closet, and when I was little for some reason I always associated our record player with Fall...I'd dance around the living room singing along with Rodgers and Hammerstein records and our one Christmas record that had Feliz Navidad on it, all while the dogs watched me from the couch or in front of the fireplace. For whatever reason, I've always had memories triggered by smells. One Fall I vividly remember standing in front of the brick wall in our kitchen in Memphis, smelling an apple and clove candle. That smell is the essence of the season to me.

Since I've grown I now add group dinners, good wines, boots and hats (not ball caps, real hats...I don't know why) to my list of Fall reminders. I tell you that to tell you this... out here (on what is generally considered the other side of the world from my family and friends) I get The Today Show at 6 o'clock at night. Tonight they had a feature on Fall wines. Such a stupid little thing, but it struck me so suddenly that I wouldn't be somewhere this Fall where I could throw a dinner party for my friends or make mulled wine or even hand out candy on Hallows Eve. It's made me very nostalgic (if you couldn't tell from this post!).

Well now that Fall is approaching I had to think of something to do for my favorite season. I pulled out some apple and clove plug-ins (got to love bath and body works air fresheners!) and did some autumn cleaning...at least now my room smells like the season should, even if it's 89 degrees and sunny outside.

I suppose there isn't much else left to say, I know it doesn't have much to do with the island...but there you go!

1 comment:

  1. I love you and I love fall. I totally want to mail you a gigantic box full of crispy leaves, a pumpkin, some cider, and candy!

    When you're back home to us, we need to have a solstice party or Autumn Jamboree or something. Chilly nights and my mom's wassail recipe and old school costumes and Halloween games.

    Tons and tons of love <3

    ReplyDelete